1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I did all the flowers for a big fancy evening hotel June wedding, all by myself. Yay!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I made a few last year, but I’m not going to go into that. I think in 2010 I’ll be a little more go-with-the-flow.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Jive Turkey gave birth to Sadie Rose Turkey. That was pretty awesome. Two of my cousins had their fourth and third babies, respectively.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. Petra Cat Kitty died on December 10. That sucked major ass.
5. What countries/places did you visit?
January: Went to NYC and Connecticut, adding two new states (for me).
March: California (Bay Area and LA)
July: Road trip through Wyoming to Yellowstone, and through Montana on the way back (one new state)
August: Traveled around CO for work; went on a weekend mountain-climbing adventure near Aspen.
October: Road trip to Austin and San Antonio, TX, adding Oklahoma to my new state list.
December: Road trip to CA through Utah and Nevada both ways, though we took different routes (the way back was mostly Nevada and Wyoming)
No other countries. 😦
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A new job in a new state. And a fetus.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Obama being sworn in as the president in January was a pretty momentous occasion. Dan graduated in May, so that was pretty good. June 6 was the big wedding I did flowers for. And Petra died on December 10.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Ever-so-slowly learning patience. Also, my little sister and I exchanged teachable Christmas presents: I taught her to knit and she (re-)taught me to drive stick. I plan to actually get good at driving my own car in 2010. Also, with the exception of a small car loan nearly paid off, I became debt-free.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Same as last year (the lack of new job and losing camera), only this time I lost the camera out of my backpack here in Denver.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Thankfully, no, not really. I had a couple of minor colds and some annoying neck pain flareup, but that was about it.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I didn’t buy a lot. We mostly tried to save money and pay off debt. But I found a pair of walking shoes on our recent trip to California that I am thoroughly smitten with and think they’ll probably last me a long, long time.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I don’t know if behavior is the right term, but Dan finishing his degree was hella awesome.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Sarah Palin. Several other “celebrities.”
14. Where did most of your money go?
Paying off debt, savings, and vet bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My 30th birthday in March. And doing the flowers for that wedding.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Vampire Weekend, “M79”
Beyonce, “Single Ladies”
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Sadder for several reasons.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter. Feh.
c) richer or poorer? We have a lot more in savings, so definitely richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Travel. Swimming. Wedding flowers. Being content with where I am and not being so impatient about The Next.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
TV watching. We got cable and we have a pretty TV and it’s so hard not to take advantage of it.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my family in California.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I fell more in love with Dan. 21 months of marriage and we haven’t killed each other yet, woohoo!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Mad Men. Glee.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I try not to hate. It hurts the hater more than the hate-ee.
24. What was the best book you read?
I read a lot more books than I ever wrote about on here (including three in the last couple of weeks) but I think my favorite was Anathem by Neil Stephenson.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Dan discovered and shared a lot of new music with me this year, much of it local (the Hollyfelds). For some reason in 2009 I got interested in music again. I’d even heard of most of the music at that fateful awards show where Kanye got up on stage while Taylor Swift was accepting an award. Also, I realized I like Lady Gaga. She is wicked talented.
26. What did you want and get?
More social opportunities. We have become friends with quite a few people that we only knew tangentially last year. Having parties to go to is fun!
27. What did you want and not get?
More than I’ll go into here. Best not to end the year on a downer note!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don’t know if I could choose a favorite. We saw so many good movies this year! The ones that stand out in my mind include Star Trek, Up, Away We Go, and Where The Wild Things Are.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had a tea party where people dressed up in costume or wore mad hats, and I gave the attendees unbirthday presents. I was 30 years old. My sisters dressed as tea bags, which was awesome.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Petra not getting sick and dying.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
A hot mess.
32. What kept you sane?
Dan, and liquor, once again!
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don’t know if anyone really tickled my fancy this year.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
GLBT rights (again).
35. Who did you miss?
I missed everyone in California from May until I got to see them again in December. I’m never going that long without a visit home again.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Patience is a virtue, and I often forget to just enjoy what is.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“It’s going to take a little time
While you’re waiting like a factory line”
–Vampire Weekend, M79