2008 was a big year for me and my various family members and loved ones, in a lot of ways. Last year I was traveling and didn’t get a chance to do this meme, but I did it two years ago, and I’m doing it again now, courtesy Linda of All and Sundry and Jive Turkey.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn’t make any. I knew 2008 was going to be crazy going into it, and I was right. I will make some for this year, but I think they’ll just be between me and me. (robble me.)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Wombat Agirlandaboy was born on December 14, 2008 to our great friends Leah and Simon. His was the most-anticipated birth in my world since my sister was born in 1986.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No dead people (or pets, even) this year.
5. What countries/places did you visit?
January = Rome and Florence, Italy, plus spent a day back in California before heading home
March = drove to the Bay Area for the wedding, passing through Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada.
April = Drove home from the wedding through Southern CA, Nevada, and Utah.
May = Quick trip to the Bay Area to surprise Leah for her birthday.
June = Flew to So. Cal for my sister’s college graduation
July = I went to Nor. Cal at the end of the month to help my sister get ready for their wedding on August 2
August = Started the month in CA, flew home.
September = Philadelpha, PA for work
October = Traveled all over CO for work.
November = CA for Thanksgiving
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A new job. To be debt free (nearly there!) Maybe a fetus.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 29, 2008 was the day we got married. August 2, 2008 was the day my sister got married. December 14, 2008 was the day Wombat was born.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Making it through 2 family weddings, a college graduation, 6 weeks of work travel and 2 major family holiday celebrations withot going nuts. I think planning our wedding from 3 states away and having everything happen smoothly was pretty good, but most of that was done in 2007, just culminating in 2008.
9. What was your biggest failure?
To find a fulfilling and challenging new job. Losing my camera in Italy.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I started the year off right, with a nasty cold in Italy that culminated in a sinus infection and 2 ear infections. Simultaneously! And, of course, the Leg Incident. I still have a divot in my calf. And last but not least, the weird hives/bumps on my face that lasted from February until June really could have gone away much earlier. There was no need for that, and I never did figure out what caused it.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The services of our wedding photographer, which I still maintain was the deal of the century. I didn’t buy a whole lot of stuff this year, other than stuff related to the wedding (either before or after).
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Barack Obama, throughout the entire election process.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Whoever was behind the horrible campaign ads (both for people and propositions) here in Colorado. Ugh. Also, the people who were originally going to stand up with Dan in the wedding. I won’t even go into that.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Wedding, travel, paying off debt.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Um. Our wedding? My sister’s graduation? My other sister’s wedding? Wombat’s arrival?
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Love Today, by Mika (our wedding)
Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis and Take back the City by Snow Patrol (summer and fall)
Handlebars, by Flobots (fall/winter)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier now that the holidays are over and I’m feeling excited about what 2009 will bring.
b) thinner or fatter? Ugh, probably fatter, but I’ve got a lot more muscle and I’m not paranoid about fitting into a wedding dress.
c) richer or poorer? Definitely richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Job hunting. Reading new books. Listening to new music. Bike riding. Swimming.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I – don’t think there was anything I did too much of. I wish my leg injury hadn’t been so debilitating, but there wasn’t much I could do about it.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With Dan’s family
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fell more in love with Dan. 9 months of marriage and we haven’t killed each other yet, woohoo!
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Gossip girl. Battlestar Galactica. We just started Mad Men on DVD; I have a feeling I’m going to love it, too.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate? no. There were some people whose behavior earned them demerits in my book.
24. What was the best book you read?
I think the book I enjoyed most was The Year of Living Biblically
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
The wedding was exactly what I was hoping for. Plus, so many people helped us out and did way more for us than we deserved. Also, two new cameras (point-and-shoot that’s mine; fancy Nikon d40 that Dan and I share).
27. What did you want and not get?
Photos from Italy.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I liked most of the movies we saw (a paltry few, alas) but I probably enjoyed Wall-E the most.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My 29th birthday was a spectacular non-event, being 2 weeks before the wedding. I took the day off, took myself to breakfast, and went to the gym. And did wedding stuff.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I would have to say that NOT tearing my calf muscle certainly would have improved my May, June, and July.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
How to Cope When You Gain a Cup Size in the Boobage Area and All Your Work-Appropriate Blouses Stop Fitting. And Your Bras. Hello, Cleavage!
32. What kept you sane?
Dan is the king of keeping me sane. Also, liquor.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I was pretty enamored of Tina Fey playing Sarah Palin.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
Friends who couldn’t be at the wedding (but will see them next week!). Friends we wanted to see more.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
I got to meet two longtime blog crushes in 2008, Holly Burns of Nothing but Bonfires and Adina of Crazy Asian. Plus I made new friends on the internets, like Jive Turkey who rocks my socks.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
You never know what sorts of behavior (good or bad) people will surprise you with when weddings are involved.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
See title of post.